Learn to relax and connect with your baby using infant massage!
Get individualized instruction in your own home and on your own schedule. Miryam’s 3 week infant massage classes are intimate, baby led, and hands on. You’ll learn to use infant massage as a way of bonding with your baby, how to calm your baby and promote healthy sleep, as well as helpful tips for baby care from a certified postpartum doula. Classes are appropriate for babies from birth to pre-crawling.
Why learn infant massage?
Regularly practicing infant massage with your baby can have profound benefits for babies and parents. Studies show that infant massage can:
- Improve Sleep Patterns- Infants massaged right before bed show improved sleep. In one study, babies massaged before bed showed more favorable wake-rest cycles by 8 weeks and produced more melatonin, a sleep regulator, during the night by the age of 12 weeks.
- Reduce Stress Levels- Massaged babies have shown to have lower levels of cortisol, a stress hormone
- Improve Family Interaction- Fathers who used massage techniques with their infants experienced increased self-esteem as a parents. The babies greeted their fathers with more eye contact, smiling, vocalizing and reaching responses.
- Help Depressed Mothers- Learning the practice of infant massage by mothers may be an effective treatment for facilitating mother-infant interaction in mothers with postnatal depression.
- Increase Weight Gain for Premature Infants- Premature infants that were massaged regularly had higher daily weight gain, increased motor activity, and better Brazelton neonatal behavioral assessment scores.
The group class includes three 60 minute classes, a manual, and a bottle of organic massage oil.
Make sure to bring to each class:
- Your baby
- Diapering supplies
- A blanket for your baby to lay on
This service costs $150 for the entire three class series and includes travel to many areas of Lower Montgomery County, MD and parts of NW Washington, DC. Other DC Metro area locations can be accommodated with a one time travel fee of $20-$50. Please email Miryam at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your private class.